Senior Highways Engineer / Technician
Oxfordshire Office (Didcot)
This is a permanent position within our Highway Engineering team
This team undertakes the following tasks
- Site appraisals, feasibility studies and pre-application advice
- Design of roads, junctions and drainage
- Production of pre and post-planning technical reports
- Junction capacity modelling
- Road Safety Auditing
- Utility Assessments
The team is highly motivated and committed to the delivery of successful projects for our clients. This ethos has resulted in an expanding workload and the requirement for another capable and experienced Engineer / Technician. A suitable candidate will enjoy their work and the challenges provided by our clients.
Relevant skills & experience
- Minimum 5 years' experience working in a transport planning / engineering design consultancy
- Able to deal with clients and interface with consultancy design and construction teams utilising competent communication skills both orally and in writing
- Technical and computing ability to produce horizontal and vertical highways design
- Strong self-motivation and initiative
- Familiarity of highway planning procedures, including Section 38 / 278 Agreements, UK design principles and standards including MfS and DMRB
- An ability to follow instructions and to work well with others as part of a team
- Knowledge of procedures relating to TROs and Road Safety Audits etc.
- Good commercial awareness
- Applicants should be qualified with an appropriate Engineering degree and already be / or working toward Incorporated or Chartered status
The job role
The role will be varied and all encompassing and will include a mix of hands-on highways design work and technical support to other members of the in-house team. Candidates must have detailed design experience and a solid background in highway construction projects. You will be able to review and take responsibility for issuing design drawings and have the seniority to liaise effectively with clients, other members of the professional team, Local Authorities and contractors.
Remuneration and training
The company will provide a competitive salary, a contribution towards a personal pension scheme (up to 5% of salary) and professional membership fees, which are paid for one organisation. The company contributes to regular social events and encourages involvement with our nominated charities.
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, including flexible working hours, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. The company has a strong commitment to training ranging from ‘on the job training’ in new software and design techniques to training programmes for Chartered status and external short courses.
Glanville’s breadth of skills and experienced staff creates an excellent environment for new staff to undertake varied and rewarding tasks and expand their knowledge and skills.
Glanville has been listed as an NCE100 company, in recognition of the role that we play in driving the industry forward, increasing productivity, driving cultural change and delivering for society in the UK and beyond.